Aziz Mentor - UK
A seasoned HR professional with retailing, IT support services, construction and media industry experience. With strong work ethics and values, Valerie creates and delivers a clear people vision, strategy and culture to enable an organisation to deliver its strategic priorities. She creates a collaborative and open working culture across teams, providing ongoing guidance and mentoring.
- transformation for efficiency/effectiveness
- culture and engagement
- diversity and inclusion
- HR transformation and digitisation
- workforce planning
- business growth, inc.internationally
- Government relations/regulation
Valerie worked as an HR professional across a number of different sectors and countries. For the past 25 years, she has operated at HR Director and Executive Committee member level.
Her career has spanned retailing, IT, support services, construction and media – predominantly in the commercial sector but working in public service at BBC.
Her roles have often been wider than HR encompassing areas such as external communications/press, CSR, health and safety and property.
Since 2014 Chief HR Officer at the BBC responsible for developing and delivering the People Strategy for 25,000 employees across over 70 countries. Member of the BBC Executive Committee.
The people strategy encompasses:
- optimising the organisation design of the BBC for efficiency and effectiveness
- workforce planning to attract, develop, retain and deploy the best skills and talent
- creating an open, transparent and inclusive culture with great leaders
- providing HR services that efficiently and effectively support the whole BBC
“As a mum of three, with two now at university, family and friends take up most of my time. I am also a keen genealogist and love to travel and visit new places.”
“Dame Stephanie Shirley. She founded Xansa (now Sopra Steria) and was the first female CEO in the Tech industry embracing a diverse and inclusive culture.”
“I mentor HR Director and senior HR teams within the organisations I work as well as others who have heard me speak at events or as a result of recommendations.
Having had a positve experience of a great mentor in my own career, I am very keen to do what I can to advise and guide others in their career journeys.”
Awards and recognition
- voted the Top 3 most influential HR Directors every year for the past 5 years
- regular conference speaker in UK and internationally
- led the BBC to win two HR Excellence Awards for Transformation and Diversity and Inclusion
- Fellow of the CIPD and Court member of The HR Guild