Aziz Mentor - UK
An inspiring leader with a successful track record in marketing and in creating new business opportunities across different market sectors. Nicholas has transformed the commercial performance in each business in which he has worked through combining strategic dexterity and commercial acumen with strong people skills. He is proud to witness those he has managed and developed grow and progress to become successful business leaders themselves.
- international development and expansion
- digital transformation
- CSR and business purpose
- brand development, internal culture and values
- marketing and sales
- business start-ups including digital start-ups
- managing culturally and geographically dispersed teams
- new product development
- business growth and strategy development
Nicholas’ career has spanned multiple leading service businesses. Over the last thirty years he has been part of their senior management teams, responsible for running their commercial, marketing and sales functions and reporting directly to the CEO.
Nicholas brings fifteen years’ insight of serving on Boards and in each of the key functions – Chair, NED and Executive Director.
He developed what was a dysfunctional Eurostar to the tripling of its turnover through driving sustained profitability and building strong brand equity, as well as securing the company as a leader in its sector through the digitalisation of all selling and customer support processes.
Alongside this, Nicholas launched Air Miles as the UK’s foremost loyalty programme (now evolved to Avios) and established the first non-stop airline service from Japan to Europe; he also innovated the first three-class product system in rail.
- NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND ADVISOR – KIDADL, a London start-up that has developed a new online platform selling family experiences and attractions
- CHAR OF INVESTORS AND DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR – HARDER THAN YOU THINK, a specialist film company that has secured the rights from the International Paralympics Committee to produce a series of films about the history of the games
- CHAIR OF TRUSTEES – CLEARLYWORLD, a charitable trust whose object is to address the issue that 24.4 billion people in the world need to have glasses, with a loss of productivity estimated at $3 trillion
- GOVERNOR AND CHAIR OF FINANCE COMMITTEE – BEDES, a Sussex educational trust with 1000 pupils split over two sites
playing the electric guitar
running, skiing, swimming, cycling
going off the beaten track when travelling
“Working for Sir Keith Mills at Air Miles. I was the first employee and learnt firsthand the importance of having a clear vision, being tenacious and believing in yourself to make things happen.
Mike Pegg, as my first coach, was ruthlessly honest about taking full responsibility for everything that happens in your work and home life.”
“Earlier in 2019, I was asked to mentor the European Senior Management Team of a rapidly growing digital business. They were having to adapt their culture and ways of working as the business was becoming larger and more complex to run.
At Eurostar, as a Director, I mentored a succession of senior managers from different functions across the organisation. I found this hugely satisfying especially when you could see they had taken on board the guidance.”
Memberships, Awards and Recognition
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Member of The Marketing Society, Marketing Group of Great Britain, Royal Society of Arts
- IOD Director of the Year Prize for CSR and contribution to community (2017)
Then South East